Research & Rescue

Coastal Monitoring

Patrolling more than 30km along the Central Okinawa coastline, we diligently observe, monitor, and safeguard all sea turtle nesting activities. Our reports are submitted to key stakeholders including the Churaumi Aquarium, Japan Sea Turtle Association, Yomitan Village Office, and the Okinawa Prefectural Government.

Facing challenges such as nests positioned too close to the shoreline or vulnerable locations susceptible to typhoon destruction, we engage in the meticulous process of relocating the nests. Marking, numbering, and precisely restoring the eggs in their original order are crucial steps to ensure successful hatching.

Protecting the nests yields an impressive 80% hatching rate, shielding them from threats like typhoons, campfires, 4WDs, and potential crab interference. The remaining 20%, requiring assistance, are monitored until they reach a size where they can evade predators their journey across the Pacific.

Additionally, throughout the year, we promptly respond to emergency calls regarding stranded turtles—those sick, entangled, injured, or deceased—that wash ashore.



We take small groups on 2 hour night patrol tours to the beach after dusk to experience first-hand the work of our patrol Rangers.

Night patrols provide an opportunity to observe our monitoring procedures, as well as to delve into the study of turtle biology, nesting behaviors, and the nocturnal ecology of the beach environment.

This scientific exploration facilitates genuine observations and data collection on nocturnal excursions.

Research Projects


Named Okinawa Turtle Spotters, this project will create a baseline database of resident and itinerant sea turtles. We can use this baseline to study distribution, population and community structure, migration patterns and habitat use. In time, we will be able to more accurately estimate the Okinawan sea turtle population and to monitor biodiversity and the stability of local populations.



Data collected includes mother size & identification (facial / tag ID), laying frequency, crawl patterns, clutch size, depth, egg size sampling, location, species type,  mortality etc. Survey activities include viability & safety assessment, relocation, predation prevention, post hatching survey etc. Our team analyzes data to find correlations between tides, temperatures, atmospheric pressure etc. to identify patterns, which in turn aid in conservation efforts.

Stranding Response


Year-round, we respond  to emergency calls regarding stranded turtles—those sick, entangled, injured, or deceased—that wash ashore. We record carapace size, species type, sex, location, condition, injuries, and tags. After performing a necropsy, we responsibly dispose of the remains. Subsequently, we tabulate and submit the results to the pertinent authorities.

After conducting a necropsy, we responsibly handle the remains, ensuring proper disposal in adherence to environmental standards.



We operate Okinawa’s 24-hour Sea Turtle Stranding Response HOTLINE. While we respond to reports year-round, most occur in the colder winter months from December-February. To expand our reach and decrease response time, we currently operate a Sea Turtle Stranding Response Team and training program. 


 The Hawksbill Project (UK / Caribbean)

Marine Conservation Initiative (Canary Islands)

Churaumi Aquarium (Okinawa)

Japan Sea Turtle Association (Japan)

Taiwan Turtle Spotters (Taiwan)


Currently our whole operations are supported by individual supporter / company donations, product sales, paid appearances / presentations, summer camp revenue, and conservation tours.

Donations will go towards nest protection and rescue/ranger equipment, infrastructure, education programs, and research while allowing us to continue to share these special moments with you the public.

Support Our Work Today

Help us to create the first marine sanctuary dedicated to the protection of critically endangered sea turtles in Japan